Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Starting the Road to USA Nationals 2014

47 days away till the best lifters in the USA will all come together in NYC and a team will be selected through competition to compete in the IUKL World Championships in Hamburg, Germany. Its that time again to get prepared and decide what bell to lift in my weight class. It's important to decide what it is that you want to do when going into a big competition. We don't have a large number of lifters in certain weight classes. So its best to decide what the game plan will be. For example, last year I decided to lift the 32s and there was only one other lifter in my weight class lifting the same bell. I knew that I wasn't going to win but my intention was to do my best and make improvements from my previous competition lifting the 32kg bells. I ended up coming in 2nd place to Marty Farrell but I had a good feeling about it. I figured out what the elite guys were putting up as numbers and what I needed to get to improve for the following year. This year I'm going in thinking about winning and making the USA National Team to be able to lift in Germany!
So this week Coach Duffey re-introduced me to the 32kg. We are seeing where I am at with the reds and if competing with them is a good or bad choice. I recently competed with the 28s and made CMS numbers. Usually before moving up you want to establish a good base with the prior bell. For example in February I lifted the 24s and posted really good results with them. So I was ready to lift the 28s. I did alright with them in April and much better with them in June. This is where we decided it was time to lift the 32s again. If anything I improve my numbers with both 32kg and 28kg bells. So training has changed a bit but the schedule has stayed the same. Monday and Thursday are Jerk days, Tuesday and Friday are Snatch. As I get closer to competition I'll have days I do both lifts. Duffey has put in some unique programs into my training; Pyramid intervals, Black Snatch (Snatch endurance work). I'm sure more things are to come. Here is a look at a couple of my training days this week. Goal for August is to be competitive with the 32s and make Master of Sport rank (125 points in 73kg)!!






Just a start on some new programming. Results will show in the consistency of the work put in.

No comments: