Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Back from the AKC Coaches Cert with a new direction

I am a huge kettlebell fan. Not only do I work with kettlebells I try to get all my clients to work with them too. Over the Father's day (June 20, 21) weekend I attended the AKC Coaches Cert in Lawrence, Long Island( Strong Island to some). I had a great time there. It was an informal format but everyone was still professional. We went over the main reason for kettlebells and all the competition lifts (Clean, Jerk, Long cycle Clean and Jerk, Snatch). It was about creating profiency in all the lift and doing them correctly so that you can reproduce the same lift for the timed set over and over again.

We were able to see Marty Farrell and Connor go for ranking. Marty who is already a Master of Sport in the biathlon (Jerk and Snatch) was going for MS in the Long Cycle. He needed to get 49 reps for his weight class with 2 x 32kg kettlebells. He just missed by one or two with a few seconds left. He was going at 6rpm (reps per min). It was amazing to see his determination to get through all 10 minutes and keep the same rpm. He will get it soon. Connor reached Rank 1 amatuer in the Biathlon. He preformed 68 jerks with 2 x 24kg and 65+65 reps of the snatch to reach Rank 1. They are both qualified to compete in the World Kettlebell Championships in August in Chicago.

So this is what I am in for, haha. From all the experience I had with kettlebells and the knowledge I receive from this certification and the RKC. I am on my way to preparing myself to competing. It is a tough and difficult sport. These Russians are tough. Kettlebell Sport requires patience, determination, a very strong mind, technique( perfect technique). Every rep must look the same and the first rep must look like the last.

So I began my journey on June 22, the day after the Cert. I listened to the advice I received and decided I would do a plan my training out and stick to the routine.

Mondays- Snatch (heavy)

Tuesday- Jerk (med)

Wednesday- Snatch (light)

Thursday- Jerk (Heavy)

Friday- Rest

Saturday- Jerk and Snatch

Sunday- Rest

So workout on 6/22 looked like this:

Joint Mobility & Stretch Band warm-up
Swing @ 16kg- 2min/2mins- 32rpm
Snatch @ 16kg- 2min/2min- 14rpm
Snatch@ 16kg-2min/2min- 14rpm

Boxing- 4 x 4min rds
Power wheel rollout- 3 x 15

Afternoon session( did a double session)

Warm-up-Joint Mobility( focus on T-spine mobility)

OA Jerk@ 12kg- 2min/2min- 12rpm (finding the rack)
Jerk@ 2 x 16kg- 3min- 12 rpm (10 rpm on 2nd min)
OA Jerk @ 24kg- 2min/2min- 10 rpm

Jump Squat @ 200lbs- 3 x 30

That was it for that day. I will post my other workouts later today. They have switched up because I have researched more information about how to train for Kettlebell Sport. It is a lot more difficult than I thought in the beginning and I am reading article that other Masters of Sport have written.

No comments: